Birth education classes at Fairfax OB-GYN Associates give parents the opportunity to prepare for all aspects of labor and delivery. Our birth education classes are taught by Sherri Washington. Sherri has been a labor and delivery nurse for 27 years. She started her own Birth Education Business in 2010, and became a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant. Sherri recently published a book titled: “A Guide for the Big Day. Practical Details for Laboring, Delivering, and More”. The intention of caring for others is her purpose in life with the gain and earnings of making a difference in even just one persons’ life. Sherri’s birth education class is a one day, 4-hour class offered the 3rd Saturday of every month. In the class we will discuss important topics like: When to call your physician, when is labor real, what do you do if your bag of water breaks, breathing and relaxation techniques, the important role of your support person, delivering your baby with and without pain medication, postpartum care, breastfeeding, some newborn care, and much more. You will be given plenty of bathroom breaks and food and drinks will be provided. Classes are $150 per couple and are held at ECPI University 10021 Balls Ford Rd, Manassas, VA 20109 (Room 213) To reserve your space in class or to learn more, please visit www.washingtonbirtheducation.com.
Childbirth Classes Q & A
What are the benefits of attending childbirth education classes?
Childbirth education began years ago when women first began using natural delivery and needed to learn how to deal with pain while avoiding anesthesia. Today you can still learn about the techniques to support natural delivery, but childbirth classes offer more than essential information, they also help parents prepare psychologically and emotionally.
The classes give you the opportunity to ask questions and share your concerns about childbirth with other expecting parents and the instructor. The more you learn from them, the more confidence you’ll gain. After participating in childbirth classes, you know what to expect so you can have a more satisfying childbirth experience.
What will you learn in childbirth classes?
Childbirth classes are incredibly helpful for first-time parents. Experienced parents should also consider attending classes, especially if this is their first time delivering at Inova Fair Oaks because they’ll have the opportunity to tour the facilities.
The basic information you learn at childbirth classes includes:
- Signs of labor
- What to do when labor begins
- When to call your doctor or midwife and go to the hospital
- Stages of labor and vaginal delivery
- Labor and birthing positions
- Breathing and relaxation techniques
- Natural childbirth techniques
- Pain relief options
- Medical interventions such as inducing labor
- Complications and how they’re handled
- Basic info about cesarean section
- What happens after your baby is born
- What to expect in postpartum care
- Breastfeeding and bottle feeding
- Basic infant care
- Women’s physical and emotional changes
Why are childbirth classes at Fairfax OB-GYN Associates better than info from the internet?
In today’s high-tech world with information at your fingertips, it may be tempting to spend 30 minutes reading online rather than taking time out of your schedule to attend childbirth classes. The team at Fairfax OB-GYN Associates encourages you to rethink that decision. In addition to the scope of information you receive, there are several vital reasons to attend childbirth classes. You can:
- Receive instruction from your health care professionals who know how your pregnancy has progressed
- Get personalized attention and instruction
- Avoid the large amount of incorrect and outdated information available online
- Get the latest medical information, recommendations, and childbirth options
- Ask questions and get answers from an experienced labor and delivery professional
- Have the opportunity to connect with other expecting parents from the area